Current Podcast List: 2018
I've pondered writing this blog post for a while now but couldn't convince myself of the value in it...until yesterday. I had a conversation with someone on Facebook about the podcasts we listen to, and we exchanged podcast lists. Our lists differed like night and day.
That's when I realised, that by sharing my list, I can also help new podcast listeners find cool podcasts to listen to, and get other people to share their lists with me.
I'm currently subscribed to about 25 channels. I won't list them all. But here are my favourites:
Top 12 podcasts
1. 99% Invisible
- What: A podcast about design and architecture. Brilliant storytelling! Every episode is interesting.
- Host: Roman Mars. His voice...! And he's an amazing host.
- Episodes: Once a week. No longer than 30mins. Generally 20mins if you skip the ads.
- Website: https://99percentinvisible.org/
2. Smart Drug Smarts
- What: A podcast about neuroscience & nootropics. Focussed on bio-hacking and self-experimentation.
- Host: Jesse Lawler. He speaks fast. Took me a while to get used to. Now I love the pace.
- Episodes: Once a week. Between 35 - 60mins.
- Website: https://smartdrugsmarts.com/
3. How I Built This
- What: This podcast tells the stories behind some of the world's best known companies by interviewing the founders and quizzing them about how they did it.
- Host: Guy Raz. He is a good interviewer and a host of numerous podcasts.
- Episodes: No consistent release schedule. Between 4 - 6 a month. Episodes are between 35 - 50mins.
- Website: https://www.npr.org/podcasts/510313/how-i-built-this
4. People Fixing The World
- What: Interviewing people with brilliant solutions to the world’s problems (healthcare, water, nutrition, education, toilets...name it.). I listen to it as soon as it's released. Big fan!
- Host: Multiple hosts - depending on the story.
- Episodes: Once a week. Episodes are generally 20mins long, with very few ads, if any.
- Website: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04grdbc/episodes/downloads
5. Found My FItness
- What: A podcast on aging, brain health, physical performance, nutrition, etc. Like SmartDrugSmarts, it's focussed on bio-hacking and self-experimentation...but this one is more science-y. So gooood!
- Host: Dr. Rhonda Patrick. #girlcrush She has a Ph.D. in biomedical science and knows her stuff.
- Episodes: Anything from 20 - 100 mins, topic depending.
- Website: https://www.foundmyfitness.com/
6. The Kevin Rose Show
- What: Kevin interviews authors, technologists, scientists, meditators, self-experimenters, and productivity hackers to explore how to reach peak personal and professional performance while living a minimal and balanced life.
- Host: Kevin Rose. He built DIGG, ZERO and OAK. And is also an investor in some notable stratups
- Episodes: 1 - 3 episodes per month, between 50 - 70 mins per episode.
- Website: https://www.kevinrose.com/
7. Bulletproof Radio
- What: A podcast about self-optimisation, bio-hacking and on how-to-live-longer. Some of the episodes can be a bit airy for me.
- Host: Dave Asprey, a master bio-hacker.
- Episodes: 5 - 7 podcasts per month.
- Website: https://blog.bulletproof.com/category/podcasts/
8. The Tim Ferris Show
- What: He interviews world-class performers (investing, sports, business, etc.) to extract the tactics, tools, and routines, incl favourite books, morning routines, exercise habits, time-management tricks etc
- Host: Tim Ferris, author, self-optimisation-specialist
- Episodes: Tip: Skip the first 6 mins of every podcast (just ads). Weekly episodes, of anything between 35 - 100 minutes per episode.
- Website: https://tim.blog/podcast/
9. Becoming Superhuman
- What: The show interviews extraordinary people to unpack the skills and strategies to overcome the impossible.
- Host: Jonathan Levi.
- Episodes: Weekly episodes, between 35 - 50 mins each.
- Website: https://becomingasuperhuman.com/podcast/
10. Masters of Scale
- What: This podcasts shows how companies grow from zero to a gazillion.
- Host: Reid Hoffman, founder LinkedIn. And startup investor. Smart guy.
- Episodes: 2 - 3 podcasts per month, between 30 - 50 mins each.
- Website: https://mastersofscale.com/
- What: A lil bit about everything - science, philosophy, and human experience.
- Host: Jad Abumrad. Superb host! Very much like Roman Mars. What makes him and Roman mars different, is that they're not promoting themselves at all.
- Episodes: Weekly episodes
- Website: http://www.radiolab.org/
12. The Innovators
- What: A South African podcast! Tom interviews local entrepreneurs about their stories, an their tools, tips and tricks.
- Host: Tom Kennedy. South African entrepreneur.
- Episodes: 1 - 3 podcasts per month, averaging an hour per episode.
- Website: https://www.theinnovators.co/
Here are some of the other podcasts on my app which I don't listen to regularly. They sometimes have interesting episodes - so I keep them on.
- TED Radio Hour
- Freakonomics Radio
- Stuff You Should Know
- Waking Up with Sam Harris
- The Mind Body Green Podcast
- Endurance Junkie
- Get Rich, Quick (South African podcast)
- Social Media Marketing
- The Growth Hacking
- The SaaS Podcast
- The Jordan B Peterson Podcast
- The Joe Rogan Experience
- The Chase Jarvis Live Show
- The Minimalists